Monday, January 30, 2006

Last part of travelling in the time machine

Where were we? In Trujillo by the beach. I remember this beautiful sunset while I was eating my ceviche (this is a beautiful seafood dish, raw! with lemon). Again I was accompanied by this Peruvian guy, that I didn't know :-) Very funny, they just come to sit at your table. I make sure that they know I'm not for the taken and then I don't mind their company. Like this, I learned a lot about the country, customs and their ways, their needs, sense of humor..everything. I know they probably want more if possible but I've always gained their respect and I had the funniest conversations. I a bustrip a few days ago, my neighbour told me that I was the first foreigner he ever talked to in his life! Imagine that..Well, I left Trujillo in the evening to take the night bus to Tumbes. From 21.30 - 06.00 in the morning. What a horror...All these sleepnoises + the busdriver decided that I had slept enough around 03.30 and turned the radio full blast..When I asked him if he could turn it down a bit he started to shout and scream, so the whole bus woke up...really, I decided better leave him in his misery and try to see the fun of it, which I did. When I arrived in Tumbes, this youngster (later on known as Leonardo) came up to me and told me that I had to be really careful in this busterminal because of the robberies. He was with his mother (Yolanda) and aunt (Maria de Pilar) and her son (Eric). They were from Quito, Ecuador and they invited me to drive with them to Quito instead of taking busses. So at 06.00 'o clock in the morning we went to the car that was parked just on the other side of the border in Ecuador. In the little town where we changed countries they sold just about anything. Somewhere in the middle of a shop was the border between Peru and Ecuador. In one half, you pay with Per.NeuvoSoles and in the other half you pay with hard cash, American Dollars that is..The temperature here was at this time in the morning already 35 degrees. We washed a bit by the car, like we knew eachother a long time. Brushing teeth together, standing almost in your underware...It felt after half an hour as if I been travelling with them for ages. Strange isnt'it. I had a lot of these encounters here. During the first minutes feeling so at ease that you don't have to work hard to make it work. Mostly it takes some work to make it work but here, I just had to be me...good enough. I really changed during this trip. I'm very relaxed, very cool about everything. They have this beautiful word for "cool" here. Chevere...and I heared it a lot lately, so I'm very "chevere". I don't try to make everybody happy anymore. They already are (okay or happy that is) and they seem to like it when I'm around. Makes me happy and smilish :-) It has probably always been like this, just had to come to South-America to discover how to be "chevere" to me!! Okay, back to the trip.....no sense in getting too arrogant and emotional, right..So we were with 5 in the car and we crossed the whole of Ecuador. I drove as well for a while in this beautiful part of the world. Then we missed a big road and found ourselves in this mountainenvironment (really not so chevere for me). It was getting dark and misty and high and cold and rainy and scarey....I drove on sense and feeling cause I didn't see anything anymore. After 4 hours, finally Quito was in sight..They asked me to stay with them untill I had to leave for Ambato. So I did.....Isn't that nice. Just like that. Without knowing me, fully trusting me. Next day I drove the ladies to all sort of appointments in Quito. Imagine that, Miriam in this big capital, driving around like a professional. It went really smooth, they laughed their heads of because of my driving style (most of you know what style that is), and my shouting at the other cars. It was like I've been living there for years...funny and cheerful day that was. In the night the showed me the Historic centre, which is amazing. 7 Corners with churches and a Basilic in the prettiest colours you've ever seen. Next day I had to leave for Ambato, so cheerio again. Maria del Pilar, the sister really cried a lot when I left and than of course, so did I. So many goodbyes, so many hearts feeling something.....So far for Quito...but the witch will return to this lovely family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wat voor muziek draaide die chauffeur eigenlijk?
Bestaat er zoiets als een Peruviaanse smartlap?
Is de trance al doorgebroken?