Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Waaaaauwhhhhhhh - day 1- biking (6 enero)

Well, I'm back in town. I don't know how to describe what I've seen. I wanted to write a little bit every day about the trip, because eventhough we were almost in the middle of nowhere there was always this little place with internet. It's quite interesting that they in every street at least 4 little offices with computers and they are always full. Nobody owns a computer here...But I decided not to write because I wanted these 4 days to be as clean from westernity (this is a new word) as could be. It was absolutely amazing. I haven't seen anything like this in my life. The first day on the mountainbike was spectacular in every sense. I never been on a mountainbike before so I had no idea if I could do it. First we went with the bus (08.00 in the morning) to a little village at 4350 m altitud (Cusco is 3330). There we took the mountainbike and cyceled through a landscape that was more or less junglish. Can you imagine me at 4350 m high going down the mountainroads full with curves and stones to approximatively 2500 m with a unimaginable speed. This all alone for 5 hours long. I was with a guide (Hugo) and a Brazilian man (Juliano), (Sandra took the bus, doesn't like bikes) but I was faster all the time. I'm always quite agressive while sporting. I've seen sites high up there standing on the edge and looking down, my eyes following the road that's curving down. It was breathtaking. I never imagened the beauty of it. It was surreal. I didn't even believe it was me there on that road, in that moment with all that beauty. Sometimes we cycled together for a while and then I drove of again. It rained, there was sun, we cycled through rivers, we past by little villages and children waved when we passed by. I felt overwhelmed by all this beauty and didn't know how to filter it in my mind. So I just inhaled it all. I didn't know where we were, what time it was, day, date. Free of charge. The guys were fabulous with me. I had a flat tire and they fixed everything and were very galant. After the four days we became real friends, because you share something very special. You eat together, brush your teeth together. They see you without your make-up, in you underware. For me that really good as an experience. We went out together after the trip. Juliano became like a brother to me. I'm invited to his wedding in Brazil when he gets married. Tomorrow I will tell you more about the rest of the trip, this was just day 1. After 5 hours of biking (and stopping every now and than to check plants and ruïnes on the way) we ended up in this little village of Santa Maria. Here it was like 39 degrees Celcius. Totally change of temperture. We slept in a family house without warm water and the village was without asfalt roads, hardly any lights in the night. I think you know these kinds of villages. TL-light in the small restaurants, rice and chicken and a bottle of Cuscena (beer), that I really started to like, especially the dark kind. Only local peole, lots of dogs barking in the night. We went to sleep like babies, with acking bikingbodies but feeling fullfilled as never before. More tomorrow....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wat heerlijk Miriam om te lezen dat je een bijna buitenaardse ervaring hebt gehad! Het moet ook echt prachtig zijn (heb wel eens een programma over iets soortgelijks gezien) om die tocht te biken en zo opgaand in de natuur... je spieren zijn allemaal ongetwijfeld aan de beurt gekomen tijdens die tocht!
Ben benieuwd naar je volgende verhalen!

Veel iefs, Margot.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Toch al wel bezig met een nieuwe camera of nog niet?
What a bummer indeed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mir,

Het klinkt allemaal wel heel bijzonder wat je doet hoor. Ik heb bewondering voor je dat je dit toch maar even doet in je eentje.

Geniet maar lekker van alle nieuwe ervaringen!

Liefs, Marga

Anonymous said...

Eenzame hoogten en wijdse vergezichten. Hogere sferen. Unieke ervaringen.
Als je niet oppast, ontstijg je het lage land Nederland nog definitief!
Ik werk in de hoogste toren van Den Haag en geniet dagelijks van een wijds uitzicht (richting zee) maar dat wordt wel erg relatief als je jouw belevenissen leest. Je kunt ook zo enthousiast schijven.
Leuk!
Marcel