Saturday, December 24, 2005

Another week in Cusco


Well, after a very good first week, the second week couldn't have been worse. That's why no messages on this blog for a week. So proud I was not getting ill nor suffering from soroche (altitude sickness)....but after my climbing trip, I found myself waking up that sunday night with stomack aches and feeling weak and dizzy. In the morning I wanted to wake up to phone to the orphanage that I couldn't come. Luz (the mother and lady of the house) asked me how I was feeling, I wanted to reply, to sit down and.....fainted, twice in a row. Total panic in the house, but I had medicaments (salt against dehydration and other stuff). Stayed in bed for two days, didn't sleep the third night, still went to work half a day, fourth or fifth night I hardly could bare the cramps in my stomach, it was like Worldwar III in there, felt very queezy friday, but there was this happening in the orphanage for the children and I wanted to attend so I woke up anyway. And I'm glad I did, because it was a real treat for the eye. All those children in their best clothes was very touchy. There was candy and toys and Santa Claus and special treats and music........Only, I forgot my camera so I can's show the fotos yet. But others will send me some to publish here later. Bless all the volunteers. There was this Dutch girl (Marloes) and she raised money on her webpage and with this money she bought new shoes for all the children in the orphanage. This was a real good idea. Later when everybody was happy and satisfied and the children were tired, I went to town and brought the 10 kilos of toys I still had to a family. They have a project in a little town (Cay-cay), also an orphanage. In this area there are hardly any volunteers and the children are more needy then in Cusco-town. So Monday we are going with a group of 8 people to visit this place and to celebrate Navidad (Christmas) with them and then the children will get the toys. But I think it's a very good idea to raise money and to buy here whatever is needed. I will do the same in Ecuador. I have been offered already some money by a company before leaving, and I will use that money to buy stuff as well as soon as I get it. You couldn't believe how happy the kids were with the shoes. The things I bought already (and were given to me, special thanks to Margot and Lara) will be very welcome as well. But if anybody wants to donate something please email me for details. So, this celebration made me feel much better. Later in the evening were I brought the bag of toys, in the house of the family there were some salsa lessons as well, and I met new people, which was very welcome to me. Later we went to La Muse, a very nice bar and I met some friends that I've already been out with once before. And I started to feel better and better, so I even went dancing in Mythology, the place to be here in Cusco, together with Mama Africa. Going out is like everywhere in the world, same music, more salsa, same alcohol, same motives ;-) if you catch my drift. Oh, one very bizar thing happened. Wednesday (I think), whenk I wanted to go to town, to change a bit of air, because I felt so horrible, I was in town with Mariana, and in the center I thought I saw some friends from Apeldoorn. Oh, god, I'm starting to hallucinate now I thought, but I really was Ellen and Anne-Maarten from Apeldoorn.....That's like amazingly bizar. We are going to hook up soon to have a drink or some food. I really look forward to seeing them. Can you believe it, in Peru, in that minute, is not like you meet in Arnhem or Utrecht.....
Another interesting fact; after I left the nightclub to find a taxi I found the center of Peru filled with Indigenas. They were all sleeping in the streets and blocking the roads. It is very common with Christmas that all the Indigenas come from the mountains and from whereever to get free meals and hot chocolate and bread. But it's a bizar scenery, all those people with blankets and baby's in the streets. The foto I made is not very clear but I hope you can get an idea of what I've seen. Later today I'm going with Sandra (my french friend) to town to buy a few gifts for the family and it is nice for Christmas to meet friends. Because I do miss you all!! Tonight they (Peruvians) celebrate Christmas night at 24 hours. We will eat turkey in the middle of the night and it will be a special and new experience. First I thougt I would be better to celebrate with my new tourist friends, but I can see them Sunday and more. This is something that I won't experience soon again. So Peruvian turkey it is..now I will add some fotos of the scenery and some other fotos of a night when I went out and some singers on the streets sang for us. Oh, and one night this past week, I went with Sandra to a theatre for the benefit of the orphanage and they showed Peruvian ancient dances. It was wonderfull to see. It was in the theatre Municipal of Cusco and there were only like 5 tourists (all volunteers). Bye the way, there are so many Dutch people here supposedly. I haven't met that many, but they have already special signs, with text like, no need to learn Spanish here, everybody speaks Dutch, or Dutch Cusco...Well, I haven't found out why, but I will and I will let you know. For now, it is impossible for me to wish everybody separatly through email a very good and special Christmas, so I will use this site to send you my Love and warmest Christmas greetings. A lot of you are doing wonderfull things (Paris, Switzerland, Tenerife and more). But where ever you are I hope you enjoy what you do and I wish you all a wonderful time. Be healthy, be good, but mostly be nice. I love you all, miss you all and speak to you soon. FELIZ NAVIDAD Y UN BESO DE MIRIAM PARA TODOS.

No comments: