Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cusco


I arrived in Cusco yesterday morning. The youngest daughter of the family that I´m staying with picked me up from the airport. She´s very sweet as is the the rest of the family. Later that day we went to the center of Cusco and it´s lovely. Very small and ancient. I did see a lot of poverty yet, mostly the "Indigenas", the name of the natives which ancestors were Indian. As soon as I find out how to post photos I will include them in the message. I went to the school to introduce myself. Tomorrow I will hear in the morning where and at what time I will be working. Because they had many volunteers already in the "niños de calle" project, I asked for something that was less popular. And in an orphanage a bit further there are less volunteers, so I guess that´s more useful. So I hope they will place me there tomorrow. Today there were elections for the congress of Cusco, and as the family that I live with is politically very active, we went to the elections, so I got a good view of how those things go in Cusco. Verry funny detail, after voting they paint your finger very pink, like that you can´t vote more than once :-) Yesterday I decorated the christmas tree with Mariana (the youngest daughter of 22). They celebrate Christmas even more like us, in their own way. With small things and less money than the west, they make it just as cosey and sweet. I do miss Holland a bit but as I start working and learning Spanish tomorrow the days will pass quickly. Keep you posted about the orphanage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shalom lieve Miriam,

Ik zit hier gezellig met je mammele op kantoor je bericht te lezen, leuk dat je het zo naar je zin hebt! Ik ben net zelf terug uit Israel.Wat mis ik? De zon, het eten, cultuur en mooie mannen!Nu zitten je mam en ik heerlijk koffie te leuten (echt hollands hahahaha)
Hou je haaks, tot schrijfs,
liefs en groets,
maman, en Maja

Anonymous said...

Lieve Miriam,

Wat heerlijk je verhalen te lezen op deze mooie site, ik spiek af en toe of er weer wat bij is geschreven. Ik hoop dat je op een plek terecht komt waar je je heel nuttig zult kunnen maken, maar elke hulp daar zal ongetwijfeld zeer welkom zijn. Wat fijn dat je daar een familie hebt waar je je al wat thuis begint te voelen. De lichtjes branden hier ook, eentje speciaal voor jou...

Liefs, Margot.