Saturday, December 17, 2005

Working, setteling and some facts about Peru


After one week of work I can say that I'm setteling in. I look forward to see the children every day and they seem to get used to me. I brought some gifts to them and we have been playing the whole morning, as you can see. After "working" I go to my Spanish lessons in the centre of Cusco where I first have some coffee and juices. There is a system in the week and I feel at home. I know more people now, I've been going out, my Spanish is improving and I learn facts&figures about South-America and Peru in particular. Time to share this with my readers... Did you know that hardly anybody smokes here? Not that this makes any difference for your health, 10 minutes in town will have the same effect on your lungs as one packet of cigarettes I supose. I'll have to detox in Davos (Switserland) after this trip to get clean inside. Oh, and almost everybody is a taxidriver here. 80% of the cars that you see on the streets are taxis. It really doesn't matter if you have a driverslicense or not (in my opinion). Next to Tunis this is the worst "style" of driving I have ever seen. It is sheer survival out there on the streets, but it makes my laugh all the time. Peruvian people are not fat. I hardly seen anybody with overweight. Life here is (for foreigners) incredibly cheap. For example, one hour of Internet costs 1 NuevaSol and that is like 0,25 eurocents. A coffee costs 4 NSoles (1 Euro) and this is in the centre, where everything is 3x as expensive as in the rest of the town. For example we ate a big sandwich on the street in a village today and this costed like 1 NSol. Well so far for the fact. One piece of advice. If you ever eat a fresh papaya, bring dental floss. I could have knitted socks with the threads hanging from my teeth..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lieve Mimijam,

Wat noest ik lachen om je flosverhaal!
Je schrijft steeds ''we'', maar wie zijn die wij? Ga je ook een broodje eten met de kindertjes, David en Marcia? Die foto's zien er echt heel goed uit, wat een tafereeltje, heel gevoelig. Ik vind 1 euro nog best wat voor een koffie aldaar! Leuk deze internet relaties, gaat geweldig, voel me helemaal betrokken bij je verhalen, leve het internet!

Liefs, Margot.